Tuesday, January 31, 2012

                           No Bakes and Mix Ins


     There's something about after dinner in the dead of winter in Michigan.  Well not exactly the dead of winter this year.  It's 48 degrees today!  But after dinner in the winter often has me carousing around the cupboards in search of just a tid bit of chocolate.  I hadn't made No Bakes in a while and the kiddos like them so I decided to whip  up a batch, but decided to experiment and added some "Mix Ins".  Hey, why not!  There are Mix Ins for ice cream and cupcakes, so No Bakes full of wonderment sounded...um "wonderment-ful."   I scrounged around the pantry and dug up some marshmallows, tiny baking M & M's, toffee bits, white chocolate chips and coconut.  Imagine the possibilities!  Raisins, dried cherries(double yum), cranberries, nuts, granola, fruit...drool.

 I decided not to actually mix the goodies exactly "in", but I piled them on the top so that there wouldn't be any surprises for my sometimes picky boys.  We think they turned out really yummy so I plan to try another batch with new "Mix Ins".
Here's the recipe I used.  Give it a try and let me know about your favorite Mix Ins.

                                Basic No Bakes

2c. sugar
4 Tbl. cocoa
1 stick butter
1/2 c. milk
1c. peanut butter
1 Tbl. vanilla
3c. oatmeal ( added about 1/3 cup more)

Combine sugar, cocoa, butter, milk in a saucepan.  Heat to boiling.  Boil for 1 minute.  Stir in peanut butter, vanilla and oatmeal.  Drop by tablespoon onto wax paper, top with or stir in Mix Ins.  These can set up rather quickly so drop a few then add your goodies, then drop a few more.

No comments:

Post a Comment