Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Beanie Quinoa Salad

I am making a concentrated effort to phase out some meat in our diet.  I eat too much caveman food, if you ask me.  But then there's the Paleo diet that touts meat as a main staple with grains being on the naughty list.  Sheesh, I don't know how to eat anymore, to tell you the truth.  I worry about all of the hormones in regular store bought meat.  I'd like to buy local grass fed meat but we just don't have the freezer space to store a lot of meat.  So I'm on  a campaign to use more beans and tofu as protein.  I found a good bean salad recipe on Pinterest but added and deleted ingredients to suit our taste.  Here's the finished dish which rated a thumbs up from the cavemen.  Give it a try.  Let me know what you think.

                                             


Beanie Quinoa Salad

2 cans beans of your choice, drained and rinsed
2 Roma tomatoes chopped
1/2 red onion chopped
1 small zucchini diced
1 small red, yellow, or orange pepper diced
1/2 jalapeño diced - optional, if you want a little kick
1/2  to 1 cup cooked quinoa, to your taste
1/4 cup rice wine vinegar
2 Tbl. canola oil
1/2 tsp. sugar
feta cheese to top it off

Combine the beans, all vegetables and quinoa in a bowl.  Set aside.  Combine vinegar, oil and sugar.  Pour over the salad. Mix and  allow ingredients to combine for a couple of hours.  Top with Feta cheese when ready to serve.  Printable Recipe

No comments:

Post a Comment